There are many diets to lose weight, but there is nothing like knowing how food feels to our body and what we can eat without gaining weight. If you are looking to lose weight, it is advisable to eliminate a series of foods from four in the afternoon, as they can cause the opposite effect to what we are looking for.
Many people make the mistake of believing in miracle diets and using very ineffective long-term weight loss tricks. Most of these processes are not contrasted by professionals and may boycott our weight loss plan.
Therefore, when it comes to losing weight, it is essential to ensure a healthy and balanced diet with a professional, starting with a couple of basic tips. We will explain what foods you cannot consume after 4 in the afternoon if you want to lose weight.
AVOID EATING THESE FOODS
In a stage of weight loss, it is vital to know what to eat and when to do it. That is why you must know these four foods that you should not eat in the afternoon if you do not want to cause a rebound effect.
As a general rule, we should avoid ultra-processed and refined products at all costs. Not only do they have a high content of sugar and salt, but they provide a large caloric dose and hardly contain nutrients, which makes it difficult for us to control weight (and, consequently, maintain a healthy life).
Also, we must watch with refined carbohydrates, since they can contribute to increased abdominal fat. This is the case of a very common food for mid-afternoon snacks: white bread. This food, having a high glycemic index, will not only provide us with many calories but will increase our sugar and insulin levels. Besides, its fiber content is very low, so it will not satisfy us enough at snack time and we will always want more.
Another food that we should avoid after four in the afternoon is ice cream since it provides a large dose of sugar and carbohydrates and calories. Eating ice cream in the afternoon may screw up our goal and we will not be able to lose weight.
Another very widespread but at the same time highly inadvisable tradition is savory snacks. Who doesn’t like to come home from work and open a soda with their favorite potatoes? As much as it is a very popular practice among Spaniards, experts affirm that these salty “snacks” are a great source of refined carbohydrates, saturated fats, and salt. Altogether, it contributes to a large number of unnecessary calories that will not help us lose weight.
Besides, from 4 in the afternoon eating milk chocolate is also not recommended, as it is a great source of sugar and saturated fat. The healthiest option to get rid of that sweet craving is pure chocolate or more than 85% cocoa tablets. In addition to being healthier, it provides many other health benefits, such as the natural antioxidants in its composition.
THE SOLUTION? EAT HEALTHIER
When hunger sets in, it’s interesting to try healthy snacks and eat them slowly, rather than devouring high-calorie items. Cereal bars, fruit, nuts, or whole wheat bread are the best foods to put in your mouth without the scale noticing.
As we have seen, this type of food is not a good alternative to choose as a mid-afternoon snack. So what healthier foods can we choose? Well, here are some healthy and easy snacks to prepare:
- Yogurt with nuts. Yogurt is with almonds, cashews or walnuts are a good alternative to eat from four in the afternoon. It is recommended to use unsweetened yogurt and replace it with other natural sweeteners like honey.
- Whole wheat toast with avocado. Whole wheat toast is the best version of the classic white bread; much healthier and lighter. If you want a healthy snack, discard any type of sausage and bet on the trendy food: avocado. However, it is a snack that is better not to take every day, since the avocado contains a lot of fat, which although they are healthy fats is not recommended to abuse.
- Rice cakes. This food provides carbohydrates and fiber in very little excess. It is ideal for its nutritional contribution and its low caloric content. If you want a more special touch, you can spread peanut butter on them or accompany them with some fruit.
- Protein bars. Not only do they work as a supplement for bodybuilding, but they are a very satiating and healthy snack in a weight loss diet. They work very well, especially when you don’t have time to prepare anything elaborate.
- Fruit with peanut butter. This cream is very healthy and rich in nutrients, as long as it is not abused. It serves very well as an accompaniment to fruits, such as apples or bananas, a complement that will give them a special flavor.