When was the last time you changed your pillow? If you have doubted it is that perhaps you need to renew the pillow. We teach you why their care is important, aim!
- Rest begins in bed.
- How often should the latex pillow be changed? What about memory foam pillows?
- How to choose the perfect pillow.
- Pillow maintenance recommendations.
While we sleep the body continues to function to regain strength for the next day. Thanks to sleep, memory functioning, learning are improved, defenses against diseases are strengthened, blood pressure is lowered, and even allows our joints and muscles to relax. Therefore, a good rest is undoubtedly synonymous with health and well-being both physically and mentally.
But, indeed, we do not always rest as we would like. Stress, work, heat in the summer, increased use of screens are some of the elements that make it difficult to rest. Although it is true that if we do not take care of the mattress, bedding, or pillow, we can hardly improve our rest.
TAKING REST IN BED
Just as we change the textiles of the bed or the mattress, we must also do the same with the pillow. Although there is no stipulated time to change it, as with mattresses, it is true that it is recommended to renew it every 2 years or so.
Pillows have a shorter lifespan than mattresses. But why? According to the National Sleep Foundation, pillows tend to contain more mites and dead cells, which can generate bad odors and therefore lead to a worse rest. Also over time, the pillows lose stiffness before, being another factor that considerably hinders sleep.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD THE LATEX PILLOW BE CHANGED? WHAT ABOUT MEMORY FOAM PILLOWS?
Generally, all pillows last the same whether they are latex or memory foam. If we notice any of these problems, then we should renew the pillow as soon as possible:
- Back or neck pain.
- Sweat at night.
- Muscle fatigue.
- Constant headache.
- Respiratory problems due to mites.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE PERFECT PILLOW
If we are going to renew our pillow, we must take into account some factors when purchasing it. According to the National Sleep Foundation, before buying a pillow it is important to detect if we have back problems, sleep apnea, or any gastroesophageal reflux problem. Other relevant factors when choosing a pillow are:
- Position: if we sleep on our back, we will need a pillow of intermediate firmness to avoid cervical problems. In the case of sleeping on your side, which is the most common, we can bet on a pillow of medium-high firmness. For those who prefer sleeping on their stomach, We recommend a short, soft pillow.
- Size: this will depend on the dimensions of the bed we have. We must measure the space we have available and then choose the pillow.
- Firmness: it is related a little to the muscular problems that we may have, the age and of course our tastes of rest. For example, there are people who have cervical problems and need specific pillows.
- Breathability: it is important in the pillows so that we can rest better.
PILLOW MAINTENANCE RECOMMENDATIONS
In order for the pillows to last a long time, and above all we can rest better, we must take care of them. These are some recommendations that we must follow:
- Add a protective cover between the pillow and the pillow cover.
- Wash the pillows if possible and as indicated on the manufacturer’s label.
- Shake the pillows frequently to remove any traces of dirt.
- Be consistent with the cleaning of the pillow protector and the cover to avoid the appearance of yellow spots, and to eliminate viruses.
Rest is extremely important in order to keep our defenses high and be more productive during the day. Pay attention to your pillow to have a well-deserved sleep.