It has already conquered old furniture and now it is also done with the floors. Painting is an economic resource and it is a result to give a change to your kitchen.
Painting is one of the cheapest and best-performing resources for renovating home decor. Walls and paint are old acquaintances. One hand over here and one over there and a room seems brand new. Now, floors join this consolidated friendship thanks to new paints and varnishes, which allow them to be applied to surfaces that suffer much more wear than walls. Depending on how your kitchen floor is, the procedure –and products– are different. Typically, the kitchen floor is porcelain stoneware, although it can also be made of wood. We tell you what you have to take into account in each case.
WHAT FLOOR PAINT DO I NEED
Not just anyone. The first thing you have to take into account is the material you want to paint. Wood, porcelain stoneware, fired clay or concrete tiles need different types of painting and treatment, since they have different porosity and adherence. In any case, the paint you choose will have to be waterproof, so it can be easily cleaned. In addition, on non-porous floors, such as long-standing tiles, you will have to apply primer, which will prevent the paint from peeling and the result will be more durable.
HOW TO PAINT STONEWARE FLOOR
It is the most common material in kitchens, unless it has undergone some reform in recent years. The paint must be special for tiles and tiles, but it also works for baked clay tiles. We tell you step by step how to paint:
- Step 1. Remove everything that can bother or that can stain.
- Step 2. Lay the bodybuilder tape around edges and corners.
- Step 3. Clean : This process must be very exhaustive. Whether it is terrazzo or traditional tile, the first thing is to carry out a thorough cleaning. You can use soap and water a large brush for the largest areas and a smaller one for those with more difficult access. Another option is to use specific products to clean and degrease the surface before painting it, which also eliminates grout residues and facilitates paint adhesion.
- Step 4. Sand the surface and clean it. When the floor is dry – whether you have cleaned with soap and water or if you have used a specific product – sand the floor. Ideally, you should vacuum the vacuum cleaner first and then clean the entire surface with water and a cloth.
- Step 5. Apply a coat of primer. This product facilitates paint adhesion, although there are tile paints that do not require this step. Find out about the type of paint you buy to find out.
- Step 6. Paint the floor with specific tile paint. Use a brush for the corners and corners. Then finish the rest with the roller making cross passes.
- Step 7. Respect the drying times. For an optimal result, wait at least 24 hours – or whatever the manufacturer indicates on the packaging.
- Step 8. After letting the 24 hours pass, sand again – with a fine grain one -, vacuum and wipe with a damp cloth to remove all the particles. Then you can apply the second coat.
HOW TO PAINT WOODEN FLOOR
Although it is not so common, your kitchen may have wooden floors. If you are very spoiled and lost its former glory, you can retrieve it, either by sanding and bárnizandolo later or giving a touch of color.
- Step 1. Whenever possible – and if there are any – remove the skirting boards to achieve a more uniform result.
- Step 2. If the wood is treated, you will have to stand it giving successive passes always in the direction of the grain. Then, pass the vacuum cleaner – a step that you will have to do if the wood is raw.
- Step 3. Put on the bodybuilder tape and start applying the paint. It is recommended that you start at the perimeter, with a brush, and use a roller for the widest areas. Always pass it in the direction of the slats.
- Step 4. Let dry for at least 12 hours – or whatever the manufacturer recommends – and sand again. Vacuum to remove dust, clean the floor and apply a second coat.
The floor is not the only thing you can renovate in the kitchen and only with paint :
- These tips also apply to kitchen walls!
- How to choose paint for wall tiles ?
- How to paint kitchen furniture step by step
- And a little inspiration: The best and worst colors to paint your kitchen
So if your kitchen still seems a little old, it will not be because we do not give you all the advice you need to renovate it!