- THE MOST USED ESSENTIAL OILS AGAINST MOSQUITOES.
- HOW TO USE THESE ESSENTIAL OILS.
- OTHER TIPS TO AVOID THE BITE OF A MOSQUITO.
- SOLUTIONS WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN STICKED.
Summer brings with it very good things: sun, heat, beach, swimming pool, vacations, outdoor dinners, excursions with family and friends. but there is a but that always bothers us a little, mosquitoes! It is always said that those who have sweet blood itch more … Some suffer a lot from bites and to try to avoid this bad drink, next we are going to explain the essential oils that can help you keep these away. insects. It is an effective, ecological, and less aggressive alternative to the chemicals on the market.
The power of essential oils for action against mosquitoes has been known since ancient times. Some plants are known to emit scents that attract insects to stimulate pollination. However, others spread aromas capable of dissuading them, confusing them, and thus avoiding their bites. And what are these oils?
THE MOST USED ESSENTIAL OILS AGAINST MOSQUITOES
There are many plants from which we can obtain essential oils to ward off mosquitoes. The most commonly used are citronella, lemon eucalyptus, or geranium. These essential oils can be used separately or together to take advantage of the properties to ward off insects.
HOW TO USE THESE ESSENTIAL OILS
You have several options. On the one hand, you can buy any of these oils separately:
- Put 2 drops of the citronella oil on the neck of the pajamas of the person you want to protect from mosquitoes, or you can also put it on one side of the pillow before going to sleep.
- Another option is to use an aromatherapy diffuser. It would be enough to put 5-10 drops half an hour before going to bed.
- The eucalyptus oil, it is best to dilute 50% in a vegetable oil rapid penetration, such as apricot nut or hazelnut.
- If you use geranium oil, it is best to apply it with a 1% dilution in vegetable oil.
If you want to make a mix-
- To harmonize the fragrance of citronella, you can also mix a few drops of citronella and geranium in the diffuser, for example, 4 drops of citronella and 6 of geranium.
If you are someone who prefers to buy them made, there are prepared options, such as Marys Synergy Repel, with 100% BIO, pure, natural, and chemotype essential oils of citronella, lemon eucalyptus, and geranium to keep insects, such as mosquitoes, away. You have it in both oil and diffuser and cost around $20.
OTHER TIPS TO AVOID THE BITE OF A MOSQUITO
In addition to essential oils, it is important to follow a number of tips to try to keep mosquitoes away:
- Wear clothes that cover your skin and avoid dark colors. This can be more effective at night, since during the day if it is very hot, the last thing you want is to wear a lot of clothes.
- Leave perfumes and lotions aside, as they attract mosquitoes.
- Avoid areas of standing water. It is not advisable to swim in small lakes or streams since it is where insects usually concentrate.
- If you have a garden or pets in your home, also avoid standing water.
- Protect your home using mosquito nets for windows.
- Avoid walking barefoot. There are many mosquitoes that fly a few centimeters above the ground.
SOLUTIONS WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN STICKED
Sometimes it is inevitable to end a bite. Some essential oils, for example, have anti-inflammatory properties. Also, you can follow these five simple tips to calm the sensation of pain in the skin.
- Clean the wound with soap and water.
- Apply local cold to the area for 5-10 minutes, but not directly on the skin.
- Use a cloth to wrap the ice before applying it to the bite.
- Repeat the process a few times.
- Then you can put some soothing skin products on the bite.
If after a sting you see that you have symptoms such as headache, fever, fainting, confusion, stomach pain, or fatigue, in addition to a strong swelling in the area, you may be allergic to mosquito bites. In this case, it is best to urgently consult a health professional.